Check out 10 questions to help you write better headlines | Poynter., for some interesting tips about how to write better headlines for your blog and other articles.
Headlines are important and I have tons of headaches about headlines. When I was in university, I used to turn in all my papers with titles like the following:
Final Paper on Gang English
Yes, I have no idea how to write titles for essays or anything else for that matter. Thankfully, I came across this. Enjoy.
Quicklist of 10 questions to ask while writing a headline:
- Is the headline accurate?
- Does it work out of context?
- How compelling a promise does it make?
- How easy is it to parse?
- Could it benefit from a number?
- Are all the words necessary?
- Does it obey the Proper Noun Rule?
- Would it work better as an explanatory headline?
- Does it focus on events or implications?
- Could it benefit from one of these 10 words? Top, Why, How, Will, New, Secret, Future, Your, Best, Worst.